Re: My Quake Editor

Wed, 26 Jun 1996 18:20:16 +0200 (MET DST)

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 18:20:16 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Bernd Kreimeier <Bernd.Kreimeier@NeRo.Uni-Bonn.DE>
To: quake-dev@gamers.org
Subject: Re: My Quake Editor

>Jon Mavor wrote:
> Exactly. However, I am going to have a format for my
>editor because of the need for concave brushes.

Hmmm. For clarity's sake, there is no such thing as a concave
brush in my dictionary :-).

More serious, this is not a good idea. Brush/MAP representations
are minimal, and might exceed Quake's lifespan. BSP is one
technique to generate lookups for speeding up rendering from
this general purpose scene description. You might as well
generate a sector map from the MAP files, for a different
renderer. Or use MAP directly with PowerVR from VideoLogic,
for all I know.

>This will of course only happen in concave brushes
>as convex brushes don't get split by a bsp. (Aren't bsps
>GREAT!).

This is confusing me. If you are doing a BSP on a per-Brush
basis (one BSP for each pseudo-brush, i.e., splitting all
those non-convex polyhedra you call Brushes :), this will
generate Brushes of some kind from the non-convex solids.
If you are processing the whole scene in one big BSP, of
course a partition plane could intersect a convex brush as
well, right?

>>>import LWO
>>Is this significantly easier than 3DS or DXF?
>Yes. Since I already have it from something else ;)

Hmmm. As I recently purchased LW 5.0, is this source
available under some reasonable license?

>I am SERIOUSLY considering a DDE plug-in interface
>to my editor so that people can edit brushes and have them

There is a DDE subset implemented in wxWindows that works
with UNIX sockets as well. Perhaps it's possible to use
this separately from the gargantuan GUI libs - another
cross-platform portability suggestion.

b.