Re: an attempt at using the new id tools
Thu, 27 Jun 1996 14:52:49 +0200 (MET DST)

Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 14:52:49 +0200 (MET DST)
Subject: Re: an attempt at using the new id tools

On Thu, 27 Jun 1996, wrote:
> upon running qbsp '' i get the following output:
> ---- MergeAll ----
> 6 mergefaces
> writing johnc99.prt
> Bus error
> suggestions? might this be because i don't actually have the textures
> in base.wad or is it terminating abruptly due to something else?

I get exactly the same results during the "MergeAll" phase for I ran gdb to find out what was wrong, and... I found
nothing. It crashes during an operation on vectors and I see nothing
wrong there (the pointers point to valid locations and there are no
unaligned data accesses). Maybe this is a memory problem? I had
Emacs, FrameMaker and Netscape running at the same time, so maybe it
ran out of memory and swap space? I will try to run the program on a
machine which has 128 Mb or 256 Mb of RAM (mine has only 64 Mb of RAM
and 70 Mb of swap) and see if it makes any difference.

> - what is the correct order for running the tools? qbsp -> light -> vis?

You have to run qbsp first. I'm not sure about the order of the other
two. Maybe vis, then light? Maybe it doesn't matter?

> - i placed dm1.bsp in id1/maps and ran it as 'map dm1' from the console
> and it worked. i thought add on levels weren't supposed to work with
> the shareware?

Yeah, I was also a bit surprised about that.

> - textures... how could i legally (assuming i don't redistribute them)
> compile a .wad of textures using what's in the .bsp files?

As soon as I have the time to finish it, I will release my little "miptex"
utility, as part of QEU 0.4. It takes a texture from BMP or PPM file (8
or 24 bits), does the rescaling and anti-aliasing and saves it in a WAD2
file. Well, I also have a tool called "stealtex", which steals textures
from a BSP file and puts them back into a WAD2 file, but I don't think I
should release that one. Hmmm... But it looks like this is the tool you
want, so maybe I will release it after all. But with a big warning about
copyright issues, derivative works and such.

Also, I wrote a program called "palcvt" which converts a picture (taken
from a BMP, PPM, WAD or WAD2 file) to the Doom or Quake palette and does
optional dithering (bidirectional Floyd-Steinberg dithering). This is
very useful for taking textures from Doom and storing them in a Quake
WAD2 file. Maybe I will merge "palcvt" and "miptex" into a single

I told Bernd that I would release QEU 0.4 and the GAEL library this week
because the small tools were almost finished, but I would like to improve
"miptex" and "palcvt" before releasing them. I probably won't have the
time to do that before the middle of next week. I hope that you will be
patient enough.

Also, GAEL (GAme Editing Library) is probably what several of you are
looking for: it provides simple routines for loading and saving data
from/to WAD and WAD2 file (among other things). I decided to split QEU
in two parts (GAEL and the tools themselves) so that anyone can use the
functions provided by the library without having to deal with QEU stuff.

(Gee, why am I wasting my time writing this instead of finishing my work?)