Re: distribution of id data...

Fri, 28 Jun 1996 16:41:15 +0200 (MET DST)

From: Bernd Kreimeier <Bernd.Kreimeier@NeRo.Uni-Bonn.DE>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 16:41:15 +0200 (MET DST)
To: quake-dev@gamers.org
Subject: Re: distribution of id data...

Here is my final attempt to draw a conclusion. In summary, I understand
that non-commercial distribution of maps, BSP's, WAD2's and infos is
tolerated and/or encouraged. I consider a WAD2 equivalent to a BSP (it
contains mipmaps and artwork that is redistributable), and infos
equivalent to source (describing a BSP file format or reading the source
has the same effect). Same for distributing the palette lump or MDL
reading source: MedDLe with quake palette is a utility containing id data.
Yes, I know that qbsp does not provide insights on MDL lumps, no, I don't
think this makes a difference.

>From now on, I will simply expect id to voice their objections, and will
not inquire again. I would appreciate if related questions are NOT posted
to the list - ask id if you are still not sure, and post a straight answer
should you actually get one. No offense intended, but we are simply
getting nowhere. Quod erat demonstrandum...

b.

----- Begin Included Message -----

>From jayw@idsoftware.com Fri Jun 28 15:14 MET 1996

Hi Bernd,

The licenses will probably be modified up to the day the reg. version
is released. Sorry but there will not be an early release of these
documents. I thought my last message clearly defined what the deal is.
Let me try to simplify it further.

The simple rules for Quake map/utility distribution:

1. user-developed/user-modified maps & utilities can only work with the
registered version. (Just to be clear here...user-developed/user-modified
maps & utilities cannot work with the shareware version of Quake.)

2. If the map/utility contain id data (other then the id code John Carmack
release to the world) it cannot be sold. The registered version end-user
license will give you the limited right to develop maps/utilities that use
id data...this right ends at commercial exploitation of the map/utility.

3. If you create a map/utility that does not use any id data (other then
the id code john Carmack release to the world)...it is your map/utility.
You may copyright it, give it away, sell it, etc.

4. You may not use any of our trademarked or copyrighted properties (game
gfx, logos, names, etc.) to market your game. In other words...QuakeEd is
a nono ("qed", "an editor that works with Quake" is OK), marketing your
product with a 1/4 page ad in a game magazine that shows screenshots from
Quake is a nono, Any use of the Quake, id, or NIN logo (except the placement
of NIN ammo boxes into levels that can not be sold) is a nono.

>Could we safely assume that all of the non-commercial
>activities going on (creating mipmap WAD2 files for
>qbsp and distributing them, creating BSP files including
>mipmaps and distributing them, distributing information
>about qbsp internals and WAD/BSP file formats, distributing
>binaries of qbsp and modified sources) are indeed safely
>within the terms of the prospective licenses?
>
>Or, the other way round: the topics that are in violation
>of the licenses are the ones I already put on the off topic
>list: POP, CRC, encryption, hacking related parts of the EXE,
>use of leaked alphas and betas.
>
>The cautious "do you think this is okay with id?" postings
>will continue to increase the traffic w/o solving the problem.
>I will have to find a solution one way or the other, and would
>appreciate any comments, suggestions or clarifications.

---
 -j

The official release date for all id's products: AS SOON AS IT IS FINISHED!

----- End Included Message -----