Re: Quake's Palette

Thu, 27 Jun 1996 21:28:49 +0200 (MET DST)

Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 21:28:49 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Bernd Kreimeier <Bernd.Kreimeier@NeRo.Uni-Bonn.DE>
Subject: Re: Quake's Palette

>I'm wondering if anybody knows if Quake's palette is
>changeable or not. In DOOM, changing the palette required
>changing all 10-14 playpal/colormap entries. Is this so
>with Quake?

Give or take an entry, yes, I'd guess.

>I've heard horror stories that Quake's palette is hardcoded.

Take the time to read the infos from John Carmack, and the
palette discussions in the archive at - you
will find that (a) the palette was already in the WAD2 (see UQS),
(b) the colormap entries should have been moved from the
EXE to the WAD2 by now, and (c) you will have to replace the
status bar, sprites and MDL skin textures as well. Matching
structured palettes has been discussed as well, so far it
seems inconclusive.

hope this helps