Re: Quake's Palette

Ryan Drake (stiletto@psu.edu)
Thu, 27 Jun 1996 16:07:58 -0400

From: "Ryan Drake" <stiletto@psu.edu>
To: <quake-dev@gamers.org>
Subject: Re: Quake's Palette
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 16:07:58 -0400

> Take the time to read the infos from John Carmack, and the
> palette discussions in the archive at www.gamers.org - you
> will find that (a) the palette was already in the WAD2 (see UQS),
> (b) the colormap entries should have been moved from the
> EXE to the WAD2 by now, and (c) you will have to replace the
> status bar, sprites and MDL skin textures as well. Matching
> structured palettes has been discussed as well, so far it
> seems inconclusive.

Wow.. that sounds like alot of fun. If I were a betting man, i would
guess that a palette-altering util will be in high demand once levels
start becoming more creative. i.e. give the program a palette and a PAK
file and it goes to work: for each bitmap it finds it 1] converts it (as
closely as it can, possibly following a set of rules) to the new palette,
and 2] writes the bitmap back into the PAK. And after it is all done,
copies the palette into the WAD2 file. Sounds like a monumental task
to me.

-=Stiletto=-

--
| Ryan Drake			Sanity is the trademark of a weak mind.	|
| stiletto@psu.edu					-- Mark Harrold	|