Attention: This list is extremely
outdated. You might try getting the latest versions of all these files at
I hope to have an updated list here at somepoint in the future.
There are a whole bunch of various useful tools that you can use to
enhance your playing pleasure. Here are some of them by category.
All files were downloaded from the main Doom FTP site at
Check here for a list of mirroring sites.
This is by no means a complete list. At the end of each category you'll find
a reference to the directory these utilities came from. You might want to
check that directory to see if a newer version has been released. We try our
best to keep this archive updated, but hey, shit happens.
The most commonly sought utilitiy for Doom or Heretic would be a level editor
to write your own levels or modify existing ones. Some of these editors are for
DOS, some for windows. Check also to make sure it edits Doom (D), Doom 2 (D2)
and Heretic (H) levels.
- DEU 5.23 gcc (DOS, D),
DEU 5.3 Beta 9 (DOS, D/D2/H), email@example.com,
- WinDEU 5.24 (Win, D)
- DCK 2.2 (DOS, D/D2/H) plus an important
- Edmap 1.40 (DOS, D/D2/H), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Doomed 4.2 (Win, D/D2), email@example.com,
- DoomCad 6.1 (DOS, D), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Waded 1.83,
Super Waded 1.967 alpha, (DOS, D/D2/H), email@example.com
- DMapEdit 4.2 (DOS, D),
- ADE (DOS, D/D2), firstname.lastname@example.org
- IdEdit 1.0b14 (DOS, D/D2/H), IDE@SillySft.com
- RHeu 1.2 (DOS, H), email@example.com
- Deep 7.40 (DOS, D/D2/H), Jack Vermeulen (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Deth 2.5 (DOS, D/D2/H), email@example.com
- PFME (X11, D), firstname.lastname@example.org,
- DoomEdit/PM (OS/2 D/D2) (for OS/2), Gerald.Callow@WPCUsrGrp.MB.CA
- Renegade Graphics DoomED Deluxe 2.86s (Win, D/D2), email@example.com,
Renegade Graphics Homepage
for more level editors.
After you've built your level, you might notice some HOM's or similar
unwanted effects or just speed up your wad a little because the editor of
your choice isn't 100 % efficient in this area.
for more node/reject/blockmap builders.
Once you've grown bored of the sound and music of the game, you might want
to add your own, or perhaps just extract them and use them elsewhere. Here
are the tools you need...
- Dm2Au, (convert Doom sfx to .au), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dmaud 1.1, (extract/insert sfx), email@example.com
- DmMusic 1.0, (convert .mus to .wad), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mustool, (for Doom 2), email@example.com
- DmMui 1.0, (DmMusic frontend), firstname.lastname@example.org
mus2midi (convert .midi to .mus and back)
- muspl 1.75, (play .mus files)
- Musserver 0.9, (play .mus files under linux), email@example.com
for more music and sound editing utils.
Editing the graphics to Doom and Heretic is a bit harder than merely adding
new sound fx, but there are a number of programms available to make this as
easy and yet powerfull as possible.
- DeuTex 3.6,
Deutex 3.6 for linux,
WinTex 3.41, (everyone uses it), firstname.lastname@example.org,
DeuTex Home Page
- NWT 1.03, denis@Doomsday.shnet.org
- Dmgraph 1.1d, email@example.com
- DmAdds 1.1, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dview 3.25, email@example.com
- Doom Texture Lister 1.0, firstname.lastname@example.org
for more graphic editing utils.
Tools under this category directly modefy your .exe, thus introducing new
features otherwise not possible by merely creating a new .wad file. It is
highly recommended you backup you .exe before using any of these
for more exe editing utils.
Wad tools are mostly small command line utilities to maniupalte an existing
.wad file in some way or another.
- Dm2cnv 3.1, (Doom, Doom 2, Heretic level converstion), email@example.com
- WadCat 0.6, (merge .wads)
- Wadopt 1.0, (space optimze .wads), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Waddir 2.2, email@example.com
- Waddump 1.1, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wadwarp 2.0
- Doom Detect 1.25, (detect version number/contents of .wad, email@example.com
- Doom Hacker's Kit 1.00, (list/view .wad contents), firstname.lastname@example.org
- DoomDump 1.00, (verbose .wad contents listing), email@example.com
- Twiddle 0.99, (yet another .wad lister), ST29o@Jetson.UH.edu
- Killdemo 1.0, (remove demos from .wad), firstname.lastname@example.org
for more wad tools.
In the very beginning, when cheat codes where unknown, external programms were
used to increase your stats. Some of hese utils also increase the maximum
amount of ammo you can carry e.g. or let you save more than 6 savegames at
for more save file editing utils.
To some, deathmatch and multiplayer play is the only reason they still play
Doom or Heretic. Hence the variety of network frontends and serial drivers.
- Ifrag 2.1, (play Doom over TCP/IP networks with a chat frontend), email@example.com,
- Dwango 2.0, (Doom Wide Area Network Game Organization),
- Dwango Extender 2.00, plus an
upgrade if you don't like Arnie, (another Dwango frontend)
- DoomPar, (play Doom via the parallel port)
- Ipx/Odi Drivers, (...to play Doom on an IPX network)
- Ser 7 (for serial games), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bnu Doom 1.26, (for serial games), email@example.com
- JeeSetup 1.38, (for serial games)
- Doom Serial Connection Manager 1.06b, firstname.lastname@example.org
- DSerf 2.7, email@example.com
- RMS 4.0a1, firstname.lastname@example.org
- IHHD, (play tcpip games over dialin accounts)
- ApciDoom 5.6,
ApciHeretic 1.1, (client software)
- SirDoom (play Doom & Heretic on Game Connection BBS's), email@example.com
- SirDoom (use this to benchmark sirdoom, apcidoom and dwango)
for more network utils
for more serial play utils.
Some of these utils radomize object placement within an existing wad, others
even create random levels of various qualities.
for more randomizers.
When your .wad collection has grown or you if you deathmatch a lot of people
and need to keep track of all of them, it's convenient to have a frontend
that helps you quickly start Doom or Heretic with your favorite options.
for more frontends.
Anything that didn't fit in the above categories can be found here. Among other
things, lmp manipulators and level printing utils.
- TED 1.2 (edit ENDOOM text),
- LMP Util 2.20 (view/manipulate .lmps), firstname.lastname@example.org
- LMP Control Programm 2.3, email@example.com
- Unpause, (remove pauses from .lmps), firstname.lastname@example.org
- DemoTool 1.2d (manipulate even more .lmps)
- DmCheck 3.0 (check .exe version), email@example.com
- Doom Postscript Map Generator 2.0 (print Doom maps in .ps), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Doom Postscript Maps Utility 2.6 (also prints Doom maps in .ps), email@example.com
- Doom HPGL 1.0 (print Doom maps in HPGL)
- Doom Mouse Spinner 0.15 (180 degree spin cheat, with keyboard support), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Doom Color Changer (change player's colors), 72773,email@example.com
- DoomGlov (Mattel PowerGlove Doom support), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zambony 0.2 (texture mapped walkthru of wads), email@example.com
for other misc Doom/Heretic utils.
Can't find a specific utility here?
Is there an out of date version on this page?
Let me know. -firstname.lastname@example.org
(c) july 29th '95 by jos
Copyright © 1994-2023 by