Re: My Quake Editor

Jonathan Mavor (nstorm@sonetis.com)
Tue, 25 Jun 1996 16:11:25 -0700

Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 16:11:25 -0700
To: quake-dev@gamers.org
From: Jonathan Mavor <nstorm@sonetis.com>
Subject: Re: My Quake Editor

At 06:00 PM 6/25/96 -0400, you wrote:
>On Jun 25, 2:05pm, Jonathan Mavor wrote:
>> The one interesting thing about my editor is that I'm
>> allow concave brushes to be used. When I export to quake .MAP
>> format these brushes will be broken up into multiple convex
>> brushes.
>
>This feature is undoubtedly going to make the difference between a useable and
>unusable editor. It fantastic that you've already tackled the problem!

Aha! But that part isn't done yet. However, I have a pretty darn
good idea how to do it (make a bsp for the brush filtering the polys down
to the bottom of all of the leaves and then sealing the volume).

>One post here a short while ago pointed out the fact that a standard
>brush file format for Quake editors would be a great thing for the
>community to have. An archive of complex brushes on the net could reduce
>the time needed to put together a nice level by an order of magnitude.

That's a DAMN good idea. What's wrong with using the .MAP format
to make up brushes though? Instead of having a level it just has a brush.
I'll
be having a export brush menu item and I'll try and import a few formats
(LWO for SURE).
If someone sends me a decent DXF parser I'll stick that in too (I hate dxf).

>I'd love to be a part of this!

I'll think about it. Keep bugging me ;)

L8r,
Jon